A few months back I stumbled on Dean Jackson’s list of 10 things that should be happening in his business and his life if he’s doing things right.
Which I really liked…
So I decided to write a similar list.
Basically if these 10 things are happening, I know I’m doing things right.
Here they are…
1. I’m making $1.5 million or more per year. I’ve realized that if I’m making $1.5-$2 million a year that’s a range I’m happy in. I can afford everything I want. And live the lifestyle I want. I don’t have any interest in working myself to death to make $10 million a year.
2. My days are relatively stress-free. When I have too much on my plate, I get stressed. And that affects my whole life. I don’t want to have a jam-packed schedule where I have to account for every 15 minutes of my time. I want to wake up when I want, and work a few hours each day doing something I enjoy.
3. I’m seeing REAL impact in the lives of the people in our mastermind. I get a lot of satisfaction from helping a copywriter go from making $2k a month to $10k a month. That’s life-changing money. Same thing with helping a business owner go from a million dollar business to a 10 million dollar business. Seeing that kind of impact, and watching it in real time is something I love to see.
4. I actually enjoy what I do each day. If Im ever dreading what I need to do multiple days in a row, then that’s a problem. I want to wake up and be excited about what I’m doing on most days.
5. I have interests and focuses outside of work. I feel the best when I have work/life balance. If I’m spending time with friends, going on dates, being outside, then I’m a lot happier. All work and no play has made me miserable before, so I want to avoid that.
6. I’m saving enough money to retire by 40. This is a recent plan of mine. I have no idea if I’ll actually retire at 40 (most likely not because I enjoy what I do). But I want to have enough money to never have to work again by 40. I’m on pace to hit that number, so it’s just a matter of continuing it.
7. I’m making a significant contribution to help save more dogs. I like dogs more than I like most people. So I have big sweetspot for helping them. In the past I’ve helped raise close to $30,000 for multiple dog rescues. I’ve also donated tens of thousands of dollars myself. I’m not sure there’s anything that brings me more fulfillment than helping a dog that’s had a rough life to find a loving home.
8. I’m in touch with how I feel. This has been one of my biggest focuses in the last 3 years. I used to be so closed off, and had no idea how to express how I felt. I just put up walls and blocked everyone out. It hurt me in business. It ruined multiple relationships. I flet like a “lone wolf” for many years because of it. But over the last few years with a lot of work, I’ve made some big strides. I’m able to express how I feel. I’m able to have boundaries and put myself first. The more in touch I am with my feelings, the better I feel.
9. I put in the effort to workout and eat well. I don’t have much of a problem doing this cause I like working out. I’m 37 now and in better shape than I was at 27. My goal is to keep getting stronger and challenging myself in the gym. Hopefully I’m still doing this when I’m 50, 60 and beyond.
10. I’m going after what I want. When I was younger I let a lot of people influence me. I almost quit being an entrepreneur because my mom was so against it. I listened to friends who thought I was nuts for trying to do my own thing. Now-a-days, I’m much better at filtering these people out. They’re free to have their opinions, but I don’t have to take them to heart like I used to. My goal is to live a life that is enjoyable and meaningful to me, not to someone else.
So there ya go…
That’s the 10 things that should be happening in my life if I’m doing things right. Hat tip to Dean Jackson for the idea. I enjoyed writing this…
So hopefully you got a nugget for two out of this that you can apply to your own life.
Enjoy your Saturday,